If you weren’t already aware, applications to the 16th (sixteen!) Royal Bison, which is happening on May 9, 10, and 11, are now closed. We received a giant stack (er, list?) of applications this time around, and our selection committee sure will have a tough time choosing. It looks as though it’ll take a week or so before our selections are announced. We inform all applicants by email if they’re in (hooray!), or not (shucks). Keep an eye on this page, our Facebook page, and/or our Twitter for the announcement.
Wow, Edmonton. We’ve got nothing but high fives and giant smiles for you – this past weekend was completely and totally off the hook! Thanks for being part of everyone’s favourite Edmonton fair – someone even called it “dangerously feel-good” – we agree!
As always, we can’t do this without our savvy customers, our awesome vendors and a huge amount of help. A few thank-yous:
- A shout-out to Edmonton mayor Don Iveson and his totally awesome wife Sarah Chan for coming out and supporting the amazing homegrown arts scene in Edmonton.
- Big ups to our friend and CKUA Program Director Adam Fox (who’s also making music as Field Assembly) for putting together the great tunes playing all weekend
- The good fellas at KOBOT did a bang up job with our new website, dontcha think? Thanks Bryan Kulba + co. for being awesome community boosters! We owe you one!
- Wasn’t the food from Culina great? Thanks to Brad (and Alison and Theresa and Maureen) for feeding and coffee-ing us all weekend!
- Intrepid door-persons Jyllian, Cory, Megan and Moly kept things cool and under control all weekend long. Maybe they even gave you a free tote bag if you were a lucky number that came through our door!
- Thanks to everyone at our venue, the Old Strathcona Performing Arts Centre. They have housed the Royal Bison for years and we’re very grateful they let us come back time and time again.
And finally, a million thanks to Funmi at FO Photography for snapping some shots of the fair in action. If you’re having some Bison withdrawal (and we sure are) just relive it here and start counting the days until the spring of 2014. Our next fair dates are May 9, 10 and 11, 2014. We’ll be calling for vendors in early February and we’ll be calling on all of you to support them all over again! And that’s it from us for a while – we’re heading into winter hibernation. Wait, do Bison even hibernate…?
At the risk of sounding all, you know, gender-binary, we realize that a lot of craft fairs can be a little, um, girly? As in there being nothing for dudes (or fellas, or chaps, or what have you). Well, the Bison is different. Ladies, you can bring your fellas along and there’ll be plenty for them, too. ’Cuz we here at the Royal Bison are keen on vendors who have stuff for ladies, for fellas, for whomever, and even a little gender-bendy, you know?
Anywho, there’s a whole shwack of vendors selling stuff for men. Here’s a partial list:
The Brave – clothing, including tank-tops, for fellas.
Want one of these snazzy tote bags (designed by awesome Edmonton illustrator and Bison vendor Andrew Benson) for free? Better yet, do you want one stuffed with awesome Bison vendor swag? Oh yes you do!
There’s 3 ways to get a free tote:
1) be one of the first 15 people through the door on Friday (fair starts at 5pm)
2) be lucky visitor number 500, 1000, 1500 or 2000 through the door
3) be lucky….on social media! We will be giving away a tote bag to a winner on each social media platform!
3 WAYS TO ENTER ONLINE:
1. If you don’t already, like The Royal Bison on Facebook
2. Share our giveaway post on your personal Facebook page
1. Follow @theroyalbison on Instagram
2. Regram our Instagram giveaway post
3. Make sure to tag @theroyalbison and hashtag #BisonTote15
1. If you don’t already, follow @theroyalbison on Twitter
2. Retweet our giveaway post
*Do all of the above to be entered 3 times and increase your chances!